Feature_Pages > History of Holcombe House
History of Holcombe House
HISTORY OF HOLCOMBE HOUSE.
The majority of Llandudno was laid out in 1849 by the Mostyn family, who leased most of the plots for development and influenced the building design and uses of the land.
Holcombe House was originally constructed circa 1853 as a private residence. The original lease was between The Right Honourable Lord Mostyn and Anne Davies and was dated 26th February 1853. The property was originally known as Wilberforce House, and retained this name for nearly 60 years.
In 1912 the property was acquired by a Mrs Jane Hooson, wife of Mr Thomas Esmor Hooson, a provisions merchant and chemist. She changed the name to Eagles Crest. The Hooson family occupied the property from 1912 until 1926, and several members of the family owned other properties along Abbey Road. Hoosons Corner on the junction of Gloddaeth Street and Mostyn Street is named after Mr Thomas Esmor Hooson and one of the properties located there remains a chemist shop to this day (now Moss Chemists).
In 1926 the property became known as Bronallt and began operating as a Boarding House.
In 1952, the propertys name was changed again back to Eagles Crest. It retained this name until 1970 when the property became known as The Mayfair Hotel.
Its present name, HOLCOMBE HOUSE, is fairly recent, and dates from the year 2000. We think the name suits such an elegant and imposing building and we have no intention of changing it.
Since October 2004, the property has been owned and managed personally by Karen and Tony Fulker. Karen (nee Hughes) originates from Llandudno and remembers Holcombe House, or The Mayfair as it was then known, when walking past with her family many years ago!
We feel delighted and honoured to play a small part in the history of the house and our aim is to continue to improve the property in a tasteful manner befitting such a beautiful home.
We are pleased to welcome you to Holcombe House and hope you will enjoy our home as much as we do.